Research Assistant Genetics
Oude Campsweg 35C, De Lier, Netherlands
Dümmen Orange is an international leading breeding company focused on cut flowers, bulbs, tropical plants, pot plants, bedding plants and perennials. For our Research department in De Lier we are looking for a Research Assistant Genetics.
Our organization grows and flourishes. This results in a fast-changing and, therefore, challenging environment.
As a Research Assistant Genetics, you will strengthen our team of Genetics and Genomics which is part of the Trait Genetics group. With your background in statistics and genetics, you will contribute to the design of algorithms and pipelines and apply these and other technologies to create tools and deliver molecular markers for technology-informed and marker-assisted breeding in a diverse range of crops. Collaboration is an important feature of the job. You will work closely with other research teams (mainly Computational Biology, Plant Physiology, Trait Discovery, Diagnostics and Phytopathology) and manage relationships with stakeholders such as Technology Application and Breeding. You will report to the Project Lead Genetics and Genomics in De Lier.
Your tasks and responsibilities
• Design, improve and maintain algorithms and pipelines in data visualization, quantitative genetics, germplasm management, genomics and marker-assisted breeding as well as contribute to the development of decision-support tools for breeding;
• Independent execution of project activities in the quantitative genetics project pipeline;
• Perform scouting activities for novel tools and technologies;
• Collection, curation and integration of genomic and phenotypic datasets;
• Translate findings to optimal application of tools and information;
• Bring quantitative genetics and statistical expertise to the team on advanced modelling techniques to analyze complex datasets.
• MSc degree in a relevant field in biology or computer sciences;
• Excellent communication skills and excellent command of the English language, both verbal and written, and willingness to learn Dutch;
• Excellent programming and visualization skills in R are a must and ideally you also master one or more other relevant programming languages (Python, Perl, MatLab, Java, C++);
• Experience in experimental design and in the analysis of (field) trial data, quantitative genetics (linkage mapping, GWAS, heritability estimation) and exploration of genomic datasets;
• Experience with analyzing Next-Generation-Sequencing (NGS) data;
• Proven skills in statistics (multivariate analyses, GLMMs) and some experience with machine learning is preferred;
• Knowledge of polyploid crop genetics;
• Ability to work independently as well as in multidisciplinary teams;
• Inquisitive and critical mind-set and a creative and pro-active attitude.
Dümmen Orange has great global ambitions. Innovation, technology and quality are high priorities. This results in a challenging working environment in which you can develop yourself. Dümmen Orange offers its employees plenty of room for personal growth and development. We have an informal and easy accessible working environment in which cooperation is very important.
Dümmen Orange is a worldwide leader in breeding and development of flowers and plants. Our annual turnover is around 360 million euro. We have more than 7.700 employees worldwide. In addition to a large marketing and sales network, Dümmen Orange has a diversified network of specialized production sites. The key to our Dümmen Orange success is a broad and deep product range, supported by a global supply chain. We take pride in our corporate social responsibility efforts investing in the health, safety, and personal development of our staff as well as in innovative and sustainable techniques.
Click on the button below to apply for this job. If you have questions about the job, you can contact Camillo Berenos (Technology Lead Trait Genetics), via +31 174 530 100.
Acquisition with reference to this advertisement will not be appreciated.