De Lier, Netherlands
Dümmen Orange is one of the leading breeding companies focused on cut flowers, pot plants, bedding plants, bulbs, succulents and perennials. For our Research & Development department in De Lier we are looking for a Genetics Intern.
Would you enjoy performing genetic analysis to support the gene discovery projects? We are looking for a student interested in doing an internship within the Research & Development team at Dümmen Orange. Your daily activities will range from literature study, developing protocols, genetic data analysis and writing reports. In this position you will learn about breeding of ornamental crops and get acquainted with the research and development activities within the plant breeding sector. You take part in a young and dynamic team, where innovative thinking, and a proactive nature balanced and team collaboration is valued. You work in close collaboration with members of the Trait Discovery, Phytopathology and breeding teams, and report to the Project Lead Genetics & Genomics or to the Project Lead Computational Biology.
- Develop innovative tools for genetic analysis;
- Design experiments, analyse the results obtained and write reports;
- Plan your daily activities according to the project plants and keep timelines.
- Create a linkage map and perform Quantitative Trait Loci (QTL) analysis;
- Allele mining in candidate genes;
- Diversity analysis on breeding material;
- Develop software to speed-up the breeding process;
- Image analysis for automated phenotyping.
- MSc student doing a MSc in plant sciences, plant breeding, biology or bioinformatics;
- Knowledge of plant genetics and statistics;
- Knowledge in computer programming, like R or Python is a plus;
- Good project management and interpersonal communication skills;
- Enjoy thinking out of the box, help to solve problems, being critical and work in a team;
- Excellent command of the English language, Dutch is a pre.
Dümmen Orange is a leading company in the breeding and development of cut flowers, pot plants, bedding plants, bulbs, succulents and perennials. Its annual turnover is approximately 260 million euros. The company employs more than 7.300 people worldwide. In addition to a large marketing and sales network, Dümmen Orange has a strong network of production sites. The key to Dümmen Orange’s success is a broad and deep product range, supported by a global supply chain. The company embraces its social responsibilities and invests in the health, safety and personal development of its staff.
We would like to receive your application letter, including resume by email to HR.NL@DummenOrange.com. If you have any questions, you can contact Camillo Berenos (+31 612057213) or Twan Kranenburg (+31 613420751).
Acquisition with reference to this advertisement will not be appreciated.