Project Lead Omics
Oude Campsweg 35C, De Lier, Netherlands
Dümmen Orange is the world’s largest breeder and propagator of cut flowers, bulbs, tropical plants, pot plants, bedding plants and perennials. For our Research department in de Lier we are looking for a Project Lead Omics.
Our organization grows and flourishes. This results in a fast-changing and, therefore, challenging environment.
As a Project Lead Omics you will strengthen our Trait Genetics group which is part of the research department. With your solid background in bioinformatics or phenomics, you will lead projects on the design of algorithms and pipelines using genomic data as well as phenomic data. Your will also wrap up these pipelines into solutions for end-users and be responsible for setting up, developing and maintaining the IT solutions for our Trait Genetics team. Collaboration is an important feature of the job, and you will work closely with scientists within Trait Genetics as well as other expertise groups such as Trait Discovery, Plant Physiology, Phytopathology and Breeding. You will report to the Technology Lead Trait Genetics in De Lier.
Your tasks and responsibilities
• Design, improve and maintain innovative software solutions for large data challenges within research.
• Lead projects on developing pipelines for computer vision (preprocessing, segmentation, machine learning, deep learning, GAN etc).
• Lead projects on developing pipelines for genomic data
• Make tools and pipelines available for routine application through automation or for end-users through web-apps or Notebooks.
• Perform scouting activities for novel tools and technologies.
• You are expected to collaborate closely with other research teams (mainly Computational Biology, Plant Physiology, Trait Discovery, and Phytopathology) and manage relationships with stakeholders such as Breeding and IT.
• PhD in a relevant field in biology with a strong computational focus (for example bioinformatics, applied mathematics, data science) and preferably >2 years experience in industry.
• You have a thorough understanding of the Linux operating system and are proficient in R and Python.
• Proven experience in large-scaled NGS data analysis and advanced computer vision applications preferably using various deep learning approaches.
• Experience with DevOps (Kubernetes, Docker), databases (SQL), pipeline tools and workflow management (Snakemake) and cloud computing.
• Experience with web-apps such as Dash and RShiny.
• Ability to work independently as well as in fast-paced multidisciplinary teams.
• Inquisitive, innovative and critical mind-set and a creative and pro-active attitude.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills which are tailored to the target audience.
• Excellent command of English and willingness to learn Dutch.
Dümmen Orange has great global ambitions. Innovation, technology and quality are high priorities. This results in a challenging working environment in which you can develop yourself. Dümmen Orange offers its employees plenty of room for personal growth and development. We have an informal and easy accessible working environment in which cooperation is very important.
Dümmen Orange is the world’s largest breeder and propagator of flowers and plants. Its annual turnover is about 350 million euro. The company employs over 7.300 employees worldwide. In addition to a large marketing and sales network, Dümmen Orange has a diversified network of specialized production sites. The key to Dümmen Orange’s success is a broad and deep product range, supported by a global supply chain. The company embraces its social responsibilities and invests in the health, safety and personal development of its staff.
Click on the button below to apply for this job. If you have questions about the job, you can contact Camillo Berenos (Technology Lead Trait Genetics), via +31 174 530 100.
Acquisition with reference to this advertisement will not be appreciated.