Research Associate Trait Genetics
Oude Campsweg 35C, De Lier, Netherlands
Dümmen Orange is the world’s largest breeder and propagator of cut flowers, bulbs, tropical plants, pot plants, bedding plants and perennials. For our Research & Development department in De Lier we are looking for a Research Associate Trait Genetics.
Our organization grows and flourishes. This results in a fast-changing and, therefore, challenging environment.
As Research Associate Trait Genetics, you will strengthen our Trait Genetics group and you will independently lead projects and execute laboratory activities for projects that focus on developing plant health tests and molecular marker assays. These activities range from literature study, sample collection and preparation, executing experiments in the laboratory and when relevant in the greenhouse, developing molecular detection methods and protocols, data analysis and reporting. You take part in a young and dynamic team; where a proactive nature is valued, but balanced with team collaboration. You will work in close collaboration with members of the Trait Genetics cluster (covering disciplines such as Quantitative Genetics, AI, Computational Biology, Plant Health and Molecular Diagnostics), other research teams (mainly Trait Discovery and Phytopathology) and manage relationships with stakeholders such as Technology Application and Breeding. You will report to the Technology Lead Trait Genetics.
Your tasks and responsibilities
• Initiate, manage and execute research projects focused on Molecular and Plant Health Diagnostics for our ornamental crops;
• Perform laboratory experiments related to marker and health diagnostic assay development, validation and optimization;
• Plan daily activities according to project plans and keep timelines;
• Participate in the writing of project plans;
• Analyse and communicate results;
• Perform scouting activities for novel relevant methods, tools and technologies.
• HLO education (or BSc equivalent laboratory technical education);
• At least 2 years work experience in the agri-tech industry;
• Proven experience with PCR (such as KASP), qPCR (such as TaqMan) and primer/probe design;
• Experience with next-generation sequencing (NGS) and genome analysis software;
• Affinity with plant-pathogen interactions and plant health tests (ELISA, Luminex, selective plating);
• Affinity with genetics;
• Strong administration skills and analytical capabilities in Excel;
• Experience with statistical programming languages such as R is a bonus;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
• Excellent command of the English language;
• Strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
Dümmen Orange has great global ambitions. Innovation, technology and quality are high priorities. This results in a challenging working environment in which you can develop yourself. Dümmen Orange offers its employees plenty of room for personal growth and development. We have an informal and easy accessible working environment in which cooperation is very important.
Dümmen Orange is the world’s largest breeder and propagator of flowers and plants. Its annual turnover is about 350 million euro. The company employs over 7.300 employees worldwide. In addition to a large marketing and sales network, Dümmen Orange has a diversified network of specialized production sites. The key to Dümmen Orange’s success is a broad and deep product range, supported by a global supply chain. The company embraces its social responsibilities and invests in the health, safety and personal development of its staff.
Click on the button below to apply for this job. If you have questions about the job, you can contact Camillo Berenos (Technology Lead Trait Genetics) via +31 174 530 100.
Acquisition with reference to this advertisement will not be appreciated.